4D Sports Driving Car Editor / CarEdit3
4D Sports Driving Car Editor (also named CarEdit3) is a graphical DOS program written in the Pascal programming language with the purpose of editing 4D Sports Driving / Stunts CAR*.RES files.
The program allows the modification of car parameters (original and almost every custom car added to the game) separated into feature sections:
- List cars for handling RES files;
- Copy, rename or delete entire cars in a convenient way;
- Spare car management (using a configurable separate folder).
- Advanced power curve editing (single values or entire ranges);
- Adjust idle RPM, max RPM and gear shift RPM values.
- Number of gears and their ratios with equalizer function;
- RPM/velocity diagram with shifting scenarios;
- Dashboard gear console pattern coordinates.
- Car dimensions and collision parameters;
- Wheel coordinates with 3D shape coordinate calculation.
- Automatic correction of length/offsets in RES files on save.
- Change movable dashboard elements on speedometer (analog/digital);
- Rev counter and wheel position coordinates.
Development and features
An older version of the program called CarEdit2 was created in the late 90s but was never published.
CarEdit3 offers a simple way of editing car parameters that is superior to Car Blaster but retains the use of the keyboard for input control. It is characterized by intense flickering caused by a lack of optimization in the rendering routine. This is most noticeable while editing the power curve.
Version 3.2 includes the following enhancements:
- Information that helps with the modification of parameters;
- More graphical elements displayed;
- Spare car management that supports all car file name formats.